Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Watch Out For Moving Signs

Keep on Moving? Keep on Living? Well, yes. I'd very much like to do both. But I don't know that I actually need a sign exhorting me to those accomplishments. And what about the "but" part. Do I move, but live? Do I have to move to live? Or will I eventually die anyway, no matter how much moving I do? The sign went up yesterday at the Locust and Race Street crossings to the Schuylkill River park. Presumably what the authors - CSX -are trying to convey to us is that it's very stupid to climb over and under stopped train cars, since you never know when they might start up again.

It's a perfectly sensible warning. But couldn't they have said it a little more directly , like "Danger: Do Not Cross the Tracks When Trains are Stopped."

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it. Kind of like a DOobie brothers line or something. Very soulful. Got to keep on moooovin'...

Yup, works for me.

I've seen businessmen climb over the trains, and barely make it before the train starts again. It happens because people don't want to wait. Imagine it, you walk the trail, and find that the locust street exit is blocked by a train. You're standing there, the train is not moving, maybe 20 min. You could have already climbed over it 15 times by now. Can I make it? Can I?

Regularly smart people do really stupid things sometimes. Just to keep moving...

Now we can remember, gotta' keep moving, but hey, gotta' keep livin' too,
ya' know?

8:16 AM  
Blogger rasphila said...

The problem with this sign isn't the text, although I agree with Inga that it's poorly written. It's the size of the type. You have to be very close to the sign—and therefore very close to the trains—before you can read the whole thing. Far better to have a sign that says "Danger. Do Not Climb Train Cars" in large type and could be seen from a distance. Better yet, have two signs, one some distance away from the tracks with the map of alternative routes, and a second for those who stupidly ignored the first one, with large type for emphasis.

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or better yet...why don't they start building that pedestrian bridge so this becomes a mute point.

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is all a P.R. stunt that CSX is people friendly. Last week, CSX was giving out T-shirts and hats. If they are such good guys, why not respect the neighborhood residents by not parking box cars at the Locust St. entrance and by building the pedestrian bridge. Their lack of respect for our safety is matched only by their lack of respect for our intelligence

12:16 PM  
Blogger rasphila said...

I agree about the pedestrian bridge. The poor signage shows that CSX is primarily covering itself. If they were really concerned, they would build the bridge.

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home