Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Philly's Boast: Tallest 2008 Skyscraper

Here's a top-ten list that's actually worthwhile: The Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat has just completed its survey of skyscrapers completed in 2008 and the only U.S. representative is Philly's own Comcast Center, which they measured at 974 feet. All the rest are either in China or Dubai.

I wonder what next year's list will look like?

Another observation: Tall buildings keep getting taller. As Architectural Record observes, this crop of supertall towers is bigger than in previous years. Given the race for the skies, I wonder how many are as well plugged into the urban fabric as Comcast? I don't believe Comcast's plaza set-back is ideal, but I suspect it's better than a lot of others on the list.

My reviews of Comcast and the proposed American Commerce Center are here and here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home