Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Happy Birthday to My Blog

I was going to wait until the end of the month to celebrate the first anniversary of Skyline Online. But then I opened Sunday's Inquirer and saw that the Arts & Entertainment section had neglected to run any architectural images with my story about UN Studio's new Mercedes-Benz Museum in Stuttgart. But now there is another forum: I can post the pictures on my blog. So here they are.
I started the blog without knowing what I was getting into. I saw it as a place to channel odd bits of information that didn't quite measure up as column material, and to try out oddball ideas. It's been a dream situation for a journalist: No deadlines. No limitations on story length. No dumb headlines. No annoying editors. No plodding bureaucracy. What you see is what I write, flaws and all. I never expected that getting rid of the middleman would be so liberating. I also never expected the kind of feedback I see in the comments. Until recently, journalists could never be quite sure of how their work was being read. No more. I've learned a lot just by eavesdropping.
Clearly there is some kind of future here for journalists. I'm not sure yet what that future is, but in the meantime I will keep posting. And I hope you will keep reading and commenting.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Inga's blog! Fantastic blog, Inga!

6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Inga,
Glad to hear you sometimes read this. Also, that you are having as much fun as us.
It is interestng to hear an educated eye critique what we are all a witness to. Sometimes we agree, sometimes we arent' sure, seldom have I disagreed.
You voice is important. You present ideas the rest of us did not consider. Maybe we now think of the legacy we inherit by renting or owning in this city. ANd our responsibility to it.
At the same time, your responsibility, to honestly present the facts, even in something as personal as design, is something I can see is a work in progress. You are passionate about you work. It is a problem most of the world is envious of.
Keep your eyes open! And keep telling us what they see.
Happy Blogday Blogspot!

11:36 PM  
Blogger HughE Dillon said...

Happy Birthday to your blog. i love reading it.

1:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ITS ARCHITECTURAL CRITIQUE WITH A GENEROUS DASH OF YOUR EXQUSITE SPICE ! WHAT'S NOT TO LOVE ? HAPPY BIRTHDAY BLOG !

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pictures of the building - without them, I have to say, I felt less interested in the abstractions of your description of this remarkable structure. It's stunning.

Congrats on the birthday.

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog. You're one of the few voices of reason regarding urban planning in this city.

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Inga's blog. You keep writing, I'll keep reading.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

Happy Birthday to the blog. Always enjoyable and informative.

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Long-time reader, but never posted, to my regret. Love the blog and columns - all best for writing on

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best is when you write about a specific building here in Philly, as evidenced by the No-Libs apartments....It gets peoples juices flowing. Please add more of the single building critiques!

7:13 PM  
Blogger rasphila said...

Happy birthday indeed. This is always one of the places I check when I go on the Web, and the postings and comments are always worth reading (and responding). Many happy returns.

5:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to add my voice of support for the blog to the mix. This blog, and your Inky columns, have really piqued my interest in architecture, design and urban planning.

Here's to many more years of blogging!

4:01 PM  
Blogger ACM said...

let me add to the yays!

and can I just say, I'm totally in love with that middle photograph! wow. the post-Gehry architectural era makes me really, really happy.

:)

4:26 PM  
Blogger Rita Novel said...

Yeah, happy 11 month anniversary.

I always wondered why magazines like TIME are dated a week a head of time. Doesn't do much for instilling confidence in accuracy of reporting though.

14 September is also Holy Cross Day.

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home